Discover everything you need to know before installing a jacuzzi on the terrace. This installation can be a bit more complicated than installing a garden hot tub. This is because it will be located on top of the building structure, not resting directly on the ground. This is an advantage to take into account for people who live in apartments or attics, compared to people who live in houses, chalets or ground floors that do not have parking under the house. On the other hand, a jacuzzi on the terrace is a dream worth fulfilling. It has the potential for you to enjoy it all year round and is an investment in comfort of the highest level.
Tips before installing a jacuzzi on the terrace
- 1 Tips before installing a jacuzzi on the terrace
- 1.1 Is the terrace where you are going to install the jacuzzi in an attic?
- 1.2 Is your terrace small or large?
- 1.3 How to upload a jacuzzi to an attic?
- 1.4 How to upload a jacuzzi to a flown terrace inside the block?
- 1.5 How much does an empty jacuzzi weigh?
- 1.6 How much does a jacuzzi filled with water weigh?
- 1.7 Sun or shade?
- 1.8 How to mount a jacuzzi on the terrace?
- 1.9 Do I need to reinforce the terrace to put a jacuzzi?
- 1.10 What is the price of putting a jacuzzi on the terrace?
- 1.11 Is this worth it?
- 2 Enjoy the spa all year round
It is necessary to have the opinion of an expert at all times. An inappropriate installation can have a negative result with problems of leaks and humidity when it is not executed by a professional company specialized in the installation of spas.
Pay attention to these tips so as not to end up with a problem.
Is the terrace where you are going to install the jacuzzi in an attic?
If so, it is best that you look at this series of indicators to know where to put it. With them in mind, the jacuzzi for the terrace will be better installed:
- Space: how much space do you have for the project? If you do not consider this variable, it is likely that you will buy a hot tub that is not suitable for the place. In addition, the decoration will go hand in hand with the size. It is possible to create charming terraces with a jacuzzi in a few square meters. If you have more space, it is best to divide the space into different areas for a cozy and functional effect.
- Finishes: pay careful attention to the state of the pavement and its finishes. To successfully install an outdoor jacuzzi, it is necessary to verify the absence of cracks, chips due to humidity or leaks, since an initial poor condition of the terrace could be a later problem, not so much because of the jacuzzi, but because we could not see the evolution of the existing cracks and the same rainwater could leak, if the cracks were to get bigger.
- Views: Nobody wants a spectacular spa with a view towards a wall. For this reason, you will have to consider a location with good perspectives of the environment, avoiding blockages and blind spots that allow us to have a good view while enjoying the bath.
- Guidance: In line with the previous point, who wants to receive prying eyes while taking a bubble bath? The orientation is crucial to avoid it, as well as to capture the sun’s rays throughout the year.
Is your terrace small or large?
If you are thinking of installing an outdoor jacuzzi, you are most likely wondering if you have enough space. However, that does not have to be an obstacle to enjoying a hot bath in the heights. The key is in the design, distribution and model of the spa, since there are 2-seater and 4-seater spas of reduced size for smaller spaces and for larger spaces we can also contemplate the option of installing a swim spa. In this sense, it is possible to install a spa on a terrace of up to 12 square meters. If there is more space available, the terrace could be divided to create different environments.
How to upload a jacuzzi to an attic?
The procedure is complicated and requires a specialized company that I have a lot of knowledge, precision about the product and proven professionalism. Most elevators, except industrial ones, are not capable of moving such a volume and weight. Due to this, it is necessary to resort to other lifting techniques on the outside of the building. This process requires professional advice and you should always have one of these elements:
- Crane truck to be able to lift the jacuzzi through the façade. Taking into account that if the truck could not be located in front of the balcony or terrace, the crane must pass over the building to deposit the load on the terrace. This will entail hiring a taller crane.
- Movable elements to move the jacuzzi around the terrace.
- Duly qualified personnel, equipped to carry out the task of unloading and handling.
How to upload a jacuzzi to a flown terrace inside the block?
This comprises a delicate and highly difficult operation. To do it successfully, it is essential to have some type of truck crane with higher tonnage and a longer boom.
How much does an empty jacuzzi weigh?
In the case of a sensitive place, such as a terrace, it is best to keep in mind the weight of the Jacuzzi and the furniture or installation to cover the spa. Likewise, it is essential to have knowledge about the state of the structure and the approximate maximum weight that the slab is capable of supporting. Depending on the Jacuzzi model, the operating weight can range from 200 kg. and 500 kg. per m2, including equipment, furniture, water and people during the bath.
How much does a jacuzzi filled with water weigh?
The key weight must always be taken into account when installing on a terrace or balcony. If it exceeds a certain limit, it could constitute a risk to the building structure and the safety of people. To calculate it correctly, it is advisable for a specialist to calculate the resistance of the structure, taking these variables into account:
- Load resistance per meter2 of the terrace slab (this service is not included by any spa manufacturer and we recommend that it be carried out by a professional).
- Weight of the maximum number of people recommended by the manufacturer.
- Weight of the jacuzzi with water, taking into account that each liter is equivalent to one kg. of weight.
- Pool area. It is obtained by multiplying the length by the width of the same. If it were the case of a round spa, it would be obtained by multiplying the radius by 𝜋 or what would be the same, multiplying it by 3.1416.
- Weight of auxiliary facilities such as platforms, stairs or pergolas.
Therefore, it would be necessary to calculate the weight that the jacuzzi will exert on the terrace per m2. To do this, divide the approximate weight by the area. The result will be expressed in kg. per m2. The CTE (Technical Building Code) sets the guidelines in this regard in Spain, hence it must be an architect or engineer who performs the structural calculation.
Sun or shade?
The answer is simple: sun. You can get shade with other structures such as awnings, or bioclimatic or traditional pergolas. Receiving rays of light during the winter can allow you to enjoy the spa throughout the year and significant energy savings.
How to mount a jacuzzi on the terrace?
To set up a jacuzzi on a terrace you will need some minimum facilities:
- Level surface for the base of the spa, if the slope of the terrace is greater than 2%.
- Drainage to avoid leaks caused by splashing.
- Water intake to fill the spa.
- Protected electrical outlet to power the jacuzzi safely.
Do I need to reinforce the terrace to put a jacuzzi?
To find out, you will first have to calculate the approximate weight per square meter. This will determine the load that the structure will have to support. When in doubt, it is best to consult an architect or engineer to review the building plans and calculate the structural load of the terrace. If the weight per meter exceeds the threshold, a reinforcement of the structure should be made adapted to the needs of the terrace and of each jacuzzi. A spa does not weigh the same as a swim spa.
What is the price of putting a jacuzzi on the terrace?
Prices fluctuate drastically depending on the quality of the product, an inflatable spa is not comparable, with a spa made in China with quality criteria or a spa made in Spain or a Jacuzzi made in the USA and Italy with all the controls of quality of the European Union.
Each client has a series of needs and a budget, so there is a product for each of them.
Is this worth it?
With a jacuzzi on the terrace you will be opening the possibility of raising your meetings and events at home to another level. You will be able to surprise your guests in a unique way, both in cold months and in hot months. For moments alone, with the family, when you get home from work, there is nothing more relaxing than a good hot or cold bath in an outdoor jacuzzi.
Enjoy the spa all year round
Long winter nights may be the best time of the year to get the most out of a hot tub. This is because you can program the water temperature to your liking up to a maximum of 40°C.
For the day, it is best to locate the jacuzzi in an area of the terrace in a place that receives the sun for as many hours a day as possible. It is also possible to install it inside a pergola or enclosure.
In summer, many users choose not to heat the water and use it at room temperature, in this way they can use it as a substitute for a “swimming pool”. Since you’ll want to cool off, simply set the water flow function and take a nice cool bath. During the hottest days it will be essential to have parasols. Add some sun loungers and you have a little paradise at home.
The best thing is that you can receive friends and family at any time of the year, as well as enjoy with them or relax alone after work, enjoying a few moments of “vacation” daily.
Do you already know what type of jacuzzi is the most advisable for your terrace? Are you looking forward to relaxing with a massage in a bath with water jets and bubbles? This dream can be reality.
This is the opportunity to enjoy a daily luxury to be with your loved ones or alone and take care of yourself at home.